The candidates for the 2017 FTMI have now been selected and they will travel to the Sunshine Coast, Australia to attend the FTMI at the Novotel Twin Waters. Congratulations to those selected and thank you to everyone who applied.
Purpose of the Initiative
Jacobsen, in conjunction with New Zealand Golf Course Superintendents Association (NZGCSA), would like to develop a sponsorship of a highly interactive, professional development initiative, providing younger superintendents with the tools to go further in our industry in the future.
The NZGCSA would like to develop a sponsorship opportunity that targets the proactive or ‘switched on’ younger generation of superintendents and strengthens relationships between the next generation of superintendents, leading NZ superintendents, and Jacobsen.
This professional development initiative (FTMI) will utilise the knowledge of industry leading superintendents, educators and Jacobsen staff to mentor and educate the next generation of superintendents. Over time the intention is that the relationships built between participants and mentors will produce a strong network of passionate professionals that support one another and collectively help propel the NZ turf industry forward.
What The Successful Candidates Receive
Successful candidates will get their travel, food and accommodation costs covered in order to attend the event. This year the event will be held at the Novotel Twin Waters, Sunshine Coast, Australia from Thursday 29 June - Friday 30 June 2017.
Sessions will be presented by established and respected course managers/superintendents (mentors), Jacobsen staff or other industry professionals.
· Team management – How to get the best out of a team.
· Effective communication strategies for public speaking and presenting.
· Relationship building and networking – Differentiating yourself from the crowd (This is a part of the overall programme – could be an after dinner-session).
· Marketing masterclass – How to deal with the media and members alike.
· Human Resources- How to deal with tough situations in Human Resources.
· Accounting/Budgeting - Examples of how other golf course managers run their budgets.
· Interviewing techniques and writing a CV – a panel discussion with a human resources training provider and 1 to 2 mentor’s.
· Career development, alternate career paths – Being prepared for every eventuality.
· Volunteering opportunities – e.g. The NZ Open, The NZ Womens Open, The Australian Open.
· Construction management – Tips and Tricks learned from your mentors.
· Environmental certification - Responsible course management.
Selection Process for FTMI
Jacobsen and NZGCSA shall manage the selection process to include a panel of three persons comprising two members of the NZGCSA and one from Jacobsen (non dealer). The process for nomination shall be limited to the following routes;
· General managers, course managers, superintendents, regional associations, or the NZGCSA executive can nominate any NZGCSA member to attend. Superintendent nominations are restricted to those with less than 5 years Superintendent level experience, or those who manage a staff of fewer than 3.
· Delegates must be NZGCSA members.
· Delegates must hold a current Passport and be eligible to be able to enter Australia.
Selection Criteria for FTMI
Following the receipt of completed application forms, Jacobsen and NZGCSA shall select candidates for the FTMI on the following primary criteria;
· Showing initiative in their position.
· Exhibiting productive and proactive behaviour, and dedication to their profession.
· Demonstrating an interest in the industry.
· Actively involved in education, at a national level (NZGCSA) and regionally.
Click here for Application Guide 2017
Click here for Application Form 2017